In the Philippines, wiring devices refer to current-carrying and non-current-currying devices, accessories, and supplies that are used to control and provide connection points from the source of power to a certain appliance or machine. These can be installed in households, offices, and other similar infrastructures that make use of electricity, which is practically every single building currently in existence. The term actually covers a wide scope of things that if you were to ask your trusted electrician about them, you’re likely to get an extremely vague answer. They might not even know what it is actually you’re referring to and that’s not something that should surprise you.
You might think that it’s their job to know what you’re talking about because the general consensus is that discussions relating to electrical systems should be left only to the professionals. Given that they are the ones with sufficient expertise on the matter, it’s easy to expect them to be all-knowing. But the truth is they aren’t. They have knowledge of all important electrical devices, but they have no idea what it is that your home or office needs. You must share with them specific details before they can offer their services to you and supply you with the appropriate items.
Simply put, you must be able to at least understand the basics of an electrical system and have knowledge of the different electrical devices. Since that covers a whole lot of things, we’re going to start with wiring devices in the Philippines. These are the most commonly used electrical devices that everyone must know about. We’ve enumerated the different types of wiring devices in the Philippines as well as other additional tips that you need to know about, so simply continue reading to find out more!
5 Different Types of Wiring Devices in the Philippines
As said previously, wiring devices in the Philippines refer to a large selection of things, so we listed the most common ones that people must absolutely know about!
Electrical receptacles are also known as sockets or outlets. These are wiring devices that connect electrical devices to an electricity supply and allow for the proper flow of current in order for the devices to run. There are various types of electrical receptacles and all of them could exist in a single building, and they are:
- Standard receptacles – These are regular outlets that can be found throughout different rooms and areas where electrical devices and machines are in use. A single receptacle can supply anywhere from 120 volts to 240 volts depending on the intended purpose. It can also contain two or three holes to accommodate two- or three-pin plugs.
- USB receptacles – USB receptacles are fairly new or at least the latest to be invented and only came about due to the wide use of USB chargers for smartphones, tablets, and other kinds of devices. They offer a lot of convenience as users won’t have to bother with buying an adaptor to charge their devices.
- GFCI receptacles – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) in the Philippines are special types of receptacles that is mainly used and usually required in kitchens, bathrooms, and other damp and exposed areas where electricity and water may meet. They’re electrical safety devices that help prevent serious shock and other electrical hazards brought about by an abnormality in the flow of the current.
Plugs and Connectors
These are the things that you insert into receptacles in order to power any and all electrically-operated equipment. Much like receptacles, sockets, plugs, and connectors differ in voltage rating, current rating, shape, and size. An example of a difference would be the number of pins that each plug has – some have two, others have three, as stated above. There are certain standards for each country that must be met in order to guarantee the users’ personal safety.
A convenient way to power a lot of devices is through the use of extension cords. These are widely used wiring devices in the Philippines and in other parts of the world, too. The reason people love using extension cords is because they’re multiple sockets or outlets that are packed into one device. It can carry anywhere from two extra outlets to six, maybe even more, sockets.
Electrical switches are one of the most common ways to control the flow of current from the power supply to the actual device or appliance. Although the most you can do with a switch is turn something on and off, it’s still considered to be among the most important electrical accessories. Keep in mind though that an electrical switch doesn’t simply refer to those that you flip up and down or left and right. Knobs, buttons, and other accessories that can be used to cut off electricity can also be considered as an electrical switch.
You might be wondering as to why these are included despite their lack of contribution when it comes to controlling or managing current flows, but these are actually crucial for your electrical safety. Without protective devices, the current can just bleed out and electrocute anyone that gets close to the outlets or breakers. It also protects your electrical devices and system from getting damaged which could lead to some serious electrical hazards. In a way, they still control the current and ensure that it stays within the designated area or pathway for both the users’ safety and the devices’ longevity.
5 Reminders When Installing and Using Wiring Devices in the Philippines
Some wiring devices need to be installed before you are able to use them; it is crucial that installation is done properly for your safety. In order to do so, make sure to keep these things in mind:
- Understand the installation process before you attempt to do one yourself as the smallest mistake can lead to some serious injuries.
- Observe safety precautions and practices if you’re going to attempt a DIY installation.
- Use the right tools for the jobs like insulated pliers and/or screwdrivers that can protect you from any hazards.
- Make sure to install the appropriate wiring devices in the right places such as GFCI receptacles in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Consider asking the professionals to perform the installation for you as they’re more experienced and can probably do it much better.
10 Ways to Care for Wiring Devices in the Philippines
Once installed, you’re going to be using these wiring devices in the Philippines for a very long time. Some can last for decades such as the switches and outlets but that is only if you learn how to properly care for them. We’re going to teach you how to do this so keep reading!
- Use the wiring devices as intended in the packaging in order to avoid shortening their life and putting yourself at risk.
- Avoid overloading outlets and extension cords by plugging in devices that demand voltage that is way over their capacity.
- Refrain from playing with switches because that’s a sure-fire and quick way to break them.
- Keep them away from any sources of water, most especially plugs, cords, and outlets (except for GFCIs).
- Clean off all dirt and stains from your electrical switches to keep them in perfect condition.
- Immediately replace or repair broken wiring devices because the damage is only going to spread to other devices if ignored for too long.
- Extension cords must never be permanent additions to the electrical system and must only be used when absolutely needed.
- Pull devices from the plug and not their cords or wires as you’re disconnecting them from the outlet.
- Do not remove the grounding pin (the third and differently-shaped one) from the plug in order to fit it into a two-holed outlet.
- Have a trusted electrician inspect your wiring devices every now and then to make sure they’re in good, working condition.
4 Tips When Buying Wiring Devices in the Philippines
In this section, we’re going to give you some great tips for buying the different types of wiring devices in the Philippines. It is important that you buy the rights ones in order to prevent damage to yourself and your devices!
Consider What You Need Them For
Before you purchase any kind of wiring device, the very first and most important thing that you should take into consideration is what you actually need it for. You should do this prior to your visit to an electrical supplier.
Some examples of the things you should take into consideration are the area in which you plan to use the device and the voltage requirement of the things you’re going to plug into it. You should also specify whether you plan to use it for a residential or commercial infrastructure as there are specific wiring devices for both.
These seemingly small things should always be considered whenever you’re buying wiring devices in the Philippines.
Look at the Details in the Packaging
After you’ve written down exactly what you need and have made your way to an electrical supplier in your area, the next tip we have for you is to look at the details in the packaging.
This goes without saying but you can’t just randomly grab things off the shelf and pay for them at the counter. The details written in the product’s packaging should match your needs – or the things you took into consideration. This way, you can avoid buying the wrong wiring devices which also means wasting your money and possibly putting yourself in harm’s way.
If you have no idea what the things on the packaging mean, then consider talking to an expert or someone you know who’s a little more knowledgeable on the subject.
Always Gauge Value-for-Money
Wiring devices are available in a wide variety of prices and you need to be able to get the one that gives you the most value for your money.
Avoid going for the most expensive ones, since chances are you’re only paying for the name of the brand and not the product itself. You should also try to avoid the cheapest one as they often break really easily. Instead, go for those that are affordably-priced but can deliver the same performance, maybe even more, as those that are priced steeply.
Of course, you also have to consider your budget. If you can’t afford those that are in the middle price range, then at least check the quality of the wiring device that you’re going to buy for cheap.
Again, if you don’t know which devices are good, ask your electrical supplier. We’re sure they’d be happy to help!
Purchase from a Trusted Electrical Supplier
One of the best tips that we can give you is to purchase you wiring devices in the Philippines from a trusted electrical supplier. Go with those who are known in the field of electrical devices and are considered the leading experts in the industry.
A trusted electrical supplier should not only be able to provide you with the devices that you need, but they should also be able to guide you as you learn more about electrical systems and devices. Whether it’s answering simple questions or making suggestions for your building’s electrical system, they should offer pieces of useful information that you can use whenever needed.
Naturally, it goes without saying that the electrical and wiring devices that they offer are of the best quality even though they aren’t necessarily the most expensive. Simply put, these prioritize the people’s electrical safety by putting effort into inventing new and safer devices and offering them to everyone at affordable prices!
Get High-Quality Wiring Devices in the Philippines at Meiji Electric!
Wiring devices are important electrical devices that everyone – although some do unknowingly – uses on a daily basis. For this reason, it is crucial that you buy and use only those of the highest quality, and these can be found at Meiji Electric!
We have been in the electrical business for more than 30 years and have dedicated our operations to the distribution of a wide variety of electrical products such as wiring devices in the Philippines. When it comes to this, we are proud to be regarded as pioneers in the market as we introduced and promoted ‘wide touch’ wiring devices. We’re dedicated to further expanding on such creations and also into developing new ones that are going to help people in every part of the country!
If you’re interested or in need of wiring devices, then visit this page to view our product selection. We have a wide array of wiring devices that are not only high quality but are also affordable so you’re sure to get the most value for your money!