These past few days it has been raining pretty hard, it is evident that the summer season has ended and the rainy season has officially begun. For some, this is a great way to cool down from the annoying summer heat. As we bid the hot weather goodbye, we should now be prepared for the heavy rains that the rainy season will bring. Aside from packing up our raincoats, preparing emergency kits, and staying tuned on our radio and televisions for weather updates, we must never forget to exercise appropriate caution when it comes to electrical safety.
Unawareness of electrical safety procedures during the rainy season may lead to damage to properties, injuries or even death. We listed down some simple guidelines which will help you keep your family safe. Here are some safety precautions that you should practice during the rainy season:
- Before plugging or unplugging devices, make sure that you switch off the power points first. Do not overload power outlets and replace your damaged extension cords with high quality products. The Meiji 13 and 20 Series Extension Cord MES-1303 to 1306, WRP 2104 and 2027 are high quality power strips with ratings from 1,200 to 2,500 Watts that comes in 3 to 5-meter ranges. It consists of 3 to 6 international outlets for the 13 series and 3 parallel outlets for the 20 series.
- In no way should you use appliances with faulty, exposed or splintered electrical wires. Do not touch wet electrical switches or anything electrical with bare hands and bare feet.
- You should never leave your homes with heat producing appliances still switched on (i.e. iron, oven, microwave, hair dryers, and electric stove).
- When doing minor repairs like wirings or replacement of circuit breaker, make sure that the main circuit breaker is turned off at all times. Update your home electrical system with the latest home electrical distribution system. The Meiji Home Panel (MHP) comes in different sizes which are modern looking and `user friendly’. These are modular, fire resistant distribution boxes applicable for home distribution use. It is easy to install and use with a beautiful design that blends with your interior. That way you do not need to hide it in the kitchen cabinet like the conventional panelboard.
- Be extra cautious when operating electrical appliances near water supply points and ensure to turn it off after use. Appliances which were immersed in water should be disposed immediately or taken to the nearest appliances service center.
- Never try to repair electrical system by removing tree twigs off electricity lines. Make sure your outdoor enclosures are weatherproof and rust proof like the MEIJI MHWP03 and MHWP05 IP54 WEATHERPROOF ENCLOSURES. These are made with fine, white, polycarbonate thermo-plastic materials to protect your circuit breakers from rain, dirt, dust, oil and spraying water. These will also not rust like the common steel type, or become brittle and crack like ordinary plastic enclosures.
- Do not get near amassed water around electrical installations that may have downed wires nearby. Immediately call the electric company and report the location of any electrical fault and downed power cables.
- Expect power interruptions due to heavy rains and typhoons. Buy a MEIJI Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) SVC 500-10000 for your refrigerators and flat screen TVs. It is used to protect your computers and other appliances against surging and fluctuating of electricity by maintaining the load voltage against voltage variances. The Meiji AVRs are available from 500VA to 10,000VA. It also has a `power-on delay’ of about 3 minutes so as to protect the appliance from sudden surges of electricity after a power outage or brown-out; however, it also has a quick-start feature to override this in case of an immediate need.
- Treat every loose wire as if it is always energized. Keep your distance from it and do not touch it unless you are already tested it or is certain that it is indeed a live wire.
- Voltage protectors should always be installed together with sensitive appliances which are plugged in power outlets. Install the Meiji Voltage Protector (TC-V002) to your refrigerators, laptops, and other appliances. It is a device that protects your appliance by cutting off power as it reaches the minimum allowable voltage drop or exceeds the maximum over voltage rating. It also has a `power-on-delay’ of about 2 minutes which can help prevent inrush current especially after a power outage or brown-out that may damage your appliances.
- Eliminate any accumulated combustible materials such as dust, dried leaves, fabric and paper from the area where electricity sources and appliances are located.
Avail of the Meiji Extension Sets, Home Panel Boards, Weatherproof Enclosures, Automatic Voltage Regulator and Meiji Voltage Protector at our showrooms located at Unit 15 Landsdale Arcade, Mother Ignacia, Quezon City and 1 Mabolo Street, New Manila, Quezon City. You can also visit any of our displays at ACE Hardware, Handyman or Ortigas Home Depot. Call us now at 448-7423, 727-5790, 414-4012 and 413-6636 and let us quote your various electrical requirements!