Kids, in general, are very mobile and curious with their surroundings. They want to explore everything. This makes them all the more prone to electric accidents especially since their curiosity greatly outweighs their judgment in sensing danger.
According to Electrical Safety Foundation International, nearly 7 kids everyday are hospitalized because of electric shock or burn injuries in their homes. This is only the result of touching and playing with a simple wall outlet. In addition, fires and burns are the third leading cause of deaths among children 14 and under. This only goes to show how rules are relevant in keeping your home and your kids safe from electric accidents.
Here are 8 rules that parents should tell their kids:
Rule #1: Do not play with cords, outlets, plugs, wires, and electrical appliances.
Kids may mistake electric conductors and appliances for toys and may tug or play with them. Adults constantly need to remind them to not play with electric conductors and appliances especially because electric cords, outlets, plugs, and wires are often within a child’s reach. This makes it all the more important to teach kids to not play with the conductors to avoid mishaps.
Rule #2: Ask help from a grown-up when you need to use something that needs electricity.
Adult assistance would prevent kids from playing with electricity and making risky mistakes that could lead to a fire or bad injuries. Plus, it is an addition bonding time for parents and their children.
Rule #3: Do not play near electrical installations and appliances.
Kids’ toys are made from different materials. Some are even flammable and could be dangerous near electric installations. Electrical appliances whether turned on or off may cause accidents. This poses as a risk to the child’s safety. It is best to keep the kids away from the risks that could be fatal.
Rule #4: Do not stick fingers into sockets.
Because the human body is composed of 70% water, it’s an excellent conductor of electricity and could enter the body within seconds. Sticking fingers into sockets could result to severe burns, vision loss, hearing loss, brain damage, and death.
Rule #5: Do not bring electrical appliances in the bathroom.
Water is a conductor of electricity. The bathroom, being a place that uses a lot of water can increase the chances of electric shock. Combined water and electricity will create an electric shock that can be very lethal most especially to kids.
Rule #6: Never touch electrical appliances with wet hands.
Wet hands will ultimately lead to electric shock. This will result to worse and far more painful effects compared to sticking dry fingers into sockets.
Rule #7: Do not yank an electrical cord from its outlet
Yanking an electric cord from its outlet can damage both the plug and outlet that can cause shorts, leading to grounding and shock.
Rule #8: Do not play with damaged electrical appliances.
Damaged electrical appliances should immediately be placed out of the kids’ reach. When turned on or played with, it can cause electric shock and in most cases death.
Electrical shock may occur at home and even at work. It is unpredictable and can happen anytime. With kids at home, adults need to be twice as careful and vigilant of their kids. The best practice to avoid electric accidents is still to exercise proper care and precaution at home and at work.