Fire as we know can be a huge benefit but may also be one’s worst enemy. An uncle of mine once said, “It is better for a thief to rob you of of some belongings than to have fire to consume everything you own.”
I say he’s definitely right. Fires are powerful and it would do us all good to know preventive measures to avoid being on its dark side. In this article, we used Readers Digest as our source for top reasons that cause fires in our homes:
- Inappropriate electrical installations. Some of us may adhere to do-it-yourself projects without the proper know-how of computing its ratings and proper specs. It is important to consult with licensed electricians before doing so.
- Careless keeping of combustible materials. During power outages, many of us make use of candles for temporary lighting. The problem is sometimes, these candles are left in places where it might get accidentally knocked over or forgotten. Matches, lighters or cigarettes should also be safely kept out of reach from children and in room temperature.
- Improper use of electrical equipments. Loosely plugged cords, overused outlets and extension cords are some of the no-nos in this category. One thing I learned is that it is better to invest in higher rated electrical equipments so as to provide allowances in case we will plug-in new appliances.
- Negligent use of cooking equipments. Kitchen atmosphere is very hot so grease, oils when splattered could cause fires. A safe tip is to be attentive of your cooking and do not leave your pans unattended.
Now that we are more informed of the top causes of fires in our homes and how to avoid it, here are some WHAT-TO-DO tips for your safekeeping:
What is the first sign of fire? That’s right. Smoke. So wouldn’t it do you good to have smoke detectors/alarms installed in your home? Smoke alarms are one of the most common yet most effective way to avoid massive damages caused by fires. Smoke detectors have built-in alarms to alert users or even wake them up. Install one now and save your life!
Power cords inspection
Properly manage appliances inside your house/office. Know its ratings, have provisions for surge protection and maintain cords untangled and unbroken.
As said, short circuits are one of the most common causes of fire. If you have been living in your home for 2 decades now. Check on your circuit breakers and panel boards. It most probably may have rusts on them. Also check for overloaded circuit breakers. If so, invest in home panels. It would also do good to your home interiors.
This is also one of the main causes of fires nowadays. More often than not, we leave our dishes being cooked in the oven without anyone minding it for a long time. To be safe, be sure not to leave anything, and when I say anything, we mean any thing combustible unattended specially when it turned on.
There are many things we can do to avoid fire. After being informed, what do you think you could contribute to your home’s safety? After all, our home is our responsibility. As for me, I admit, I could be more conscious in double checking for any unplugged gadget or appliances left at home right before I leave for work, how about you?