Over voltage is something that happens at home but may not be aware of. Apart from the hassle it gives people, it can also be really dangerous and even traumatic. Flash overs, sparks, and uncanny smell, which are just some of the things that might come out whenever there is an over voltage, are some things we do not like to happen.
- Take note of your appliances’ voltage requirements. One of the most common causes of over voltage is when a particular home appliance or equipment is plugged into an outlet which has higher voltage. Because of this, there is more amount of voltage flowing into the equipment, so much higher than its maximum requirement. And so over voltage occurs. The best way to avoid this is to take note of the voltage requirements of your equipment.
- Use transformers properly. To deal with voltage differences, use step-up or step-down transformers. This is to make sure that the voltage that flows to your equipment when you plug it is just enough. A transformer will either step up or step down voltage level, depending on type.
- Be careful when dealing with insulators. One of the causes of over voltage is a break somewhere on the insulator. Because of this, the current from the source is not allowed to pass through the path and reach the other end. In result, this current flows back to the source, now with its voltage doubled. This is the reason why one has to be careful when handling insulators. Also, you have to be very picky about the ones you use.
- Stop using appliances when there is a storm. Among the most common causes of over voltage are external ones. Lightning is one good example. When there is lightning, any appliance at home could be at risk. This is because current can actually flow from some metal components outside the house up to your system and that could just ruin some of your appliances.
- Consult with experts regularly. Always have your system checked so you would know if there is anything wrong. Do not wait until something wrong happens before you take action. Consulting with experts would also help you to be enlightened about some technicalities that are very crucial. And as we all know, getting rid of ignorance on matters as important as this one could be really helpful.
Over voltage can really be a problem. But if you know how to prevent this, there would be nothing to worry about.